If I don’t make a list of everything I need to get, I’ll end up waiting on a parts order before I can finish a prototype, or worse, leaving something off the design entirely.
- Atmel Atmega8 or Atmega168 for Arduino/Freeduino
- USB interface chip?
maybe only if USB is going to be externally accessible; could use LadyAda’s FTDI USB cable if willing to get inside to reprogram
- voltage boost / regulator
- battery charging controller
maybe LM3622 used in the WaveBubble
- Allegro A6276 16-bit LED driver
- digital resistor for LED current reference and dimming?
or could PWM A6276′s enable line — I probably like the PWM idea better
- accelerometer / tilt sensor
sample the cheapest one I can find and make sure it’ll work — probably a thermal
- Dallas RTC
- temperature-compensated crystal oscillator for RTC
- *PROM for fonts for POV mode?
- EEPROM for saving configs and POV text?
- LM34 Fahrenheit temperature sensor?
- ultrabright 5mm LEDs with > 30° viewing angle (15° half-angle) and prefer > 10,000 mcd
- very slim high-energy-density battery
16 LEDs * 25mA/LED = 400mA, so well over 400mAh for an hour of runtime at full brightness
- coin cell and holder for RTC chip and oscillator
- watertight mini-USB connector for tethered charging and reprogramming???
- photoresistor or LED for light detection (maybe several around the edge?)
I’ve kind of dropped connectors for remote wired control, and wireless for a keyfob control. How much do those matter?