What Is This Thing?

I bought this at a surplus store a long time ago (twenty years?) thinking it was cool.

Front side of mystery plug strip

The front side has what I hoped would be lights but appear to be sockets. Positions 050 and 056 have broken off pins in them.

Back side of mystery plug strip

The back has wire-wrapped pins and Babcock PS-1224 devices, which I can’t identify. Fron context, I assume they’re some kind of matrix scanners.

I can’t decide whether it’s a patchboard (my best guess) or some kind of matrix input device — insert conductive pegs to connect rows to columns and indicate which of a thousand positions should … something.


8 Responses to “What Is This Thing?”

  1. steve cooley says:

    it could be an input for a modular synth… It’s kind of a stretch, but it’s possible. Synthi 100? http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/synthi.php

  2. ellisgl says:

    I’m thinking it a relay board of sorts.

  3. Dave Van den Eynde says:

    Take a look at this: http://www.vintagesynth.com/arp/2500.php

  4. DanPIC32 says:

    Could this possibly be a panel insert for a PLC used by babcock?http://www.babcock.com/products/auxiliary_equipment/controls_specs.html

  5. Jon says:

    Could it be an input panel from an analog computer?

  6. faustian says:

    Wild guess: DC/DC converters.

  7. Conrad Braam says:

    I am also making the connection to PLC or DCS control system part. Those babys were really big bundles of wire, so it may be a bus terminator of some sort.

  8. ken says:

    It looks like the patch panel on the old HP 1640 serial data analyzer.

Leave a Reply